Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Voting

     I know the Presidential election has already ended but I would like to speak about my first time voting for the President. I did vote in the earlier primary elections but it did not really feel like I voted. When I was growing up I always looked at voting was when we would focus on voting for the President and then the other positions on the ballot did not mean that much. The media puts a lot of attention to the Presidential election that I did not really know anything about any of the other candidates. 
     The first time that I cast my ballot for the President of the United States of America was when I felt like I really voted for something that meant a lot. I am sure that the candidates for the State Senate, The House of Representatives and all of the county positions mean a lot but I did not feel like I made a difference when voting for those persons. I also voted on the early ballot voting which had the purpose of voting when the lines were not long. I did not get to experience the long lines that I have herd about and seen from watching the news. When I casted that ballot my mother took a photo of me voting in one of the most important elections in our nation and in the world. I say the world because from all of my travel experience and from watching the news on the day of the election and the day after the election. I have had people ask me about the United States President in countries on different continents but I would not really know anything about the President or Prime Minister from there country. 

     When I voted for the President of the United States my vote felt like it meant something because everybody around the world would know about it and I felt accomplished because I felt like I was making a difference by voting in my first Presidential election. What is your take on this?

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I don't think it should matter if the rest of the world is changed by you're vote. The amazing thing is that you have a hand in shaping the future of your country. It is just an amazing concept that everyone who is a citizen of the the United States has the opportunity and ability to voice their opinion, and as a result the majority of our country will hopefully be happy because they represent the largest portion of the people. I think that when people don't use the opportunity to vote, they are ruining it for everyone else, because the more that vote the, the more will be happy. Voting is an opportunity that we have in our country that everyone should take advantage of.