Sunday, November 9, 2008

Miz Alice and more

When I was reading this story Blue Highway by William Least Heat- Moon, was trying to draw the conclusion from what Miz Alice might be going through to something that I might have been going through as well. Do you see anything that is similar to Miz Alice Middleton's life that can be relative to your life?

My answer is that there is not too much from what I have been through. I know that Miz Alice was living on an island that did not really have any modern appliances for the sixty years that she was living there. I think that the amount of people moving towards that area had a big influence. There were not too many people living on the island with Miz Alice Middleton. Her way of schooling was quite different than the type that I had growing up. I also see that less and less people were going towards her method and falling towards the norm. The new generation is full with new things in terms of technology and more people live in the modern society. I say this because that island finally had, "Carried mail and medicine, the sick and dying. Brought news, food, gas, firewood. Even ideas, I deem (397)." This island was not that similar to anything that I have experienced.  I do see something similar in that going to foreign countries I see that there are nowhere near as technologically advanced as we are. They are getting there but it is a process. But, with my personal life, I do not see any of these similarities. I live in a nice area and if anything I see what is happening to Miz Alice in some places but not too many.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Why would you ask the question if you saw nothing in her life or ideas that was relevant to your life? Granted, she lived on an island without modern conveniences, but wasn't there anything in her philosophy of life that younger readers could relate to or learn from? What bits of wisdom can you find in her conversations with Heat Moon? She was one of the favorite characters in the book, according to reviews, so I think that if you think more philosophically, more big picture, instead of at the details, you could find more to discuss here.